Sunday, October 31, 2010

MIA





I have a huge problem... I'm missing one of my best surf buddies.
His name is Dan Montgomery. He works/worked on one of the tugboats in Newport's harbor. He worked 5PM to 5AM almost every night of the week. He is the hardest worker I know. A couple times a week we would dawn patrol either at RJ's, Orange, Upper and Middle Trestles. I know he liked HB pier but I wouldn't go there haha.

We were surf buddies, we met one day at the Froghouse... and I don't think we ever hung out outside of surfing. I know he had plans to go to Nicaragua when he had a break from work. I am not sure if he left suddenly or what, but the last time I talked to him was when he was in Eureka on a tug mission.

Dan is an incredible person & I feel so blessed to know him. He is a true waterman--a career as tugboat captain, amazing surfer, and diver. When I didn't have shoes one day at Trestles, Dan offered his shoes even though they didn't fit. He would test out my boards and give me feedback on what he liked and what needed improvement and he especially liked my standard 6'0" short board with the stripes.

It was amazing to see his face light up when he got a good wave.
He worked hard so he could play harder. I admire that about him.
We have no photos together but I pray from now on that he is safe.





Photos are of Nica from random unknown sources. Thanks.