Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Dad

I don't have very many photos of my dad but the few I have from my childhood are treasured.  I know that I have many characteristics of him including being stubborn, picky, high standards, crafty, and intelligent.  There are so many memories I can recall of times spent with him.  He has a particular fondness for classic cars and so do I.   He would take me to shows with him and explain each of the cars including details on construction and time period.  I loved it.  I'm glad we could share in these experiences. 
He is the hardest working man I know.  I can remember as a child he would build barbed wire fences with a sledgehammer and his bare hands. Now he didn't have a lot of patience but he was efficient and everyone needed to do the job how he wanted them too.  He had a workshop in the basement of our house with woodworking tools of all sorts.  I remember when I was about 3 or 4, he let me use the hammer and bang nails into a piece of wood.  I think I had like 50 nails in this little board. It wasn't about the nails, it was the time spent together that meant the most.  I gained all of my early craftsmanship experience from him. 
Unfortunately we live so far away from each other but I know that he is supportive of my life and dreams even if he doesn't express it.  I will always remember the positive memories and forgive the bad.  I appreciate all of the special things he taught me.  Thank you, Darvin.